"Are you on your way?", read my text message. "YES", I quickly typed back and clicked my phone shut. We were in the right general area, now we just had to find them. Ever notice how when your trying to get somewhere on time you hit every single traffic light or get behind the slowest person on the road. Today was one of those days! "This can't be it" I said to the boys as we pulled in front the parking lot and found it deserted. "Let's try to go around back and see if they are back there", I said as we pulled back out on the street and sat through what felt like another 10 minute traffic light. We turned down a few more streets and found the back parking lot of the grounds. "I see them!" yelled out my son Damian. "So do I", chimed in Sean.
I parked the car and pulled out my phone again. "We're here", I typed in, knowing my friend Cherene would start looking for me at the entrance. I checked my camera settings as I walked up to the field, spotting Cherene's husband and son Jason parked under a shade tree. "Now you two have the right idea!" I chided as I walked past looking for my friend.
Loud cheers rang out from the other parents sitting on the sidelines rooting for their young players. I was here meeting my friend Cherene to practice my sports photography. Both of Cherene's sons play soccer. Not just any ordinary league soccer team, they play "Elite Soccer", the best of the best. They have been playing since they were old enough to walk and chase the ball, and I have no doubt will be playing Pro someday! Beckham replacements for sure! This morning we were watching her youngest son Jordan. His big brother Jason is the one resting for his game later that day. Just then, I could feel the ground shake as the teams headed in our direction. You can see and feel the intensity of the game. These kids don't mess around!
Sports photography is a world away from Portrait photography and takes a good eye, timing, coordination, and understanding of the game. Cherene is the team photographer for both of her sons and she is teaching me about the game so I can better understand where to aim, how to follow the action, and anticipate how to get the best shots. It's a high action, fast paced, intense game. It will take much practice to master sports photography. What better way to practice than spending time with your friend and rooting for her kids. Here are a few of my favorite shots.






No comments:
Post a Comment