I sat this morning going through the phone book trying to figure out who to contact first, or second, or just anyone at all! Caterer's, Bakeries, Reception halls, Bridal shops...where do I begin?
I reached out and asked a brilliant photographer from NC for some much needed advice. Millie Holloman, of Millieholloman.com was so nice and gave me some awesome advice, and told me exactly what I needed to hear. Her pictures are incredible and If I can only reach just a smiggin of her level of talent I'd make myself proud! Reaching out to ask for help is something I'm not very good at.
I'm spent most of my life in "full survival mode" and I'm still learning how to relax and trust that there is a path for me to follow my dreams if only I can sum up the courage to continue on. I literally have to force myself to not get scared and climb back into my safe little hidy hole. Breathe..you can do this. I spent over 4 hours last week emailing every single photographer who had an email listed on Central Ohio's Professional Photographer website. Sadly, I can count the number of responces I got back on one hand. A couple were very nice and gave me some good advice such as "Join" the Photographers Association and attend the meetings in my area. I already plan on doing just that! One person commented back to me that Ohio is already over saturated with wannabe photographers taking the business away from the "REAL" Pros. nice huh! What this person didn't know is that I've been studying photography since I was 14 years old. My hearing loss has been a lifelong progression that started when I was 4 and pretty much ended a year ago when I lost what little residual hearing I had left. Fear of failure, rejection, and not being able to hear my potential clients, or anyone at all for that matter, to properly communicate is what has held me back from pursuing photography on the professional business level this whole time. I've known my way around a camera, lighting, and developing for a long long time. I started out shooting film and developing it in my high school dark rooms. I could tell you a few juicy stories about us young teenager in those dark rooms...*sigh*, but that's another story. I learned photography the old way and was thrilled when Digital became the norm. Now I can shoot as much as I want and get instant satisfaction from seeing instant results. No more wasting costly roll after roll of film trying to work out new lights or projects.
I have spent the last 2 years reading any and every photography and photo-shop book I can get my hands on. Going to a class for me was pointless since I would just sit there staring at the teacher wondering, "what exactly is it your saying". I tried the "interpreter route" in photography classes before only to have the whole class stare at me like I was some weird science project. So I decided to go it alone. Teaching myself the new digital age techniques has been a challenge and a blessing. I don't have to put up with the stares or missing information because the teacher is just going to fast or the class is just too full. I can take my time, make my own mistakes and correct them at my own pace. I love photography! I always have! And I'm here to stay! Yes, I can pull this off......I think so....yes I can....I hope so.....Now if I can just get enough courage to start asking people I don't know to let me take their pictures! Wanna go first?!
No comments:
Post a Comment