Wednesday

A Better Way to Focus

I've been dog sick with a head cold every since I left the Wedding I was shooting Saturday night. It hit me like a ton of bricks half way home. I think the excitement and my adrenalin pumping at the wedding kept me from feeling it. But once it was over and I started coming down from my walk on the clouds, I crashed! I spent all day Sunday in bed and finally dragged myself to my 4:30 Family Portrait Session immediately followed by the 2ND half of a head shot shoot for the local community Theatre. (blog more on those later). I spent all day Monday hiding under covers with a box of Kleenex in my grip at all times. Yesterday I started feeling better, but still made myself rest knowing I have a huge workload ahead of me and needed to get myself well.

I found a super cool hot tip for focusing my Canon and thought I'd share.

I got this off of Chris Humphreys Website (I copied and pasted below) he has oogles of information he is willing to share, you can check him out here at his blog site:

http://chrishumphreys.typepad.com/chris_humphreys/2007/04/better_way_to_f.html

A Super Cool Focusing Tip (this one's for you Cherene!)

It's a new way to focus that most of us aren't accustomed to. The idea is to separate the shutter function from the focus function. While this technique may take a little getting used to, in the long run you'll be far more accurate with your focus.

1. To do this, go to custom function 4 and set it to setting 1. (setting 0 is default)
2. Turn your AF setting to AI Servo. Leave it there from now on and never take it off.

From here, your focus will be controlled by the * button on back of the camera by your right hand thumb. When you press the * button the AF will be engaged and will focus on whatever the red box in your viewfinder is set on. To stop focusing simply take your thumb off the * button.
The only time you'll take your camera off AI Servo is if you use your AF assist beam on your flash to focus. Your camera must be set up in Single Shot drive mode as well as One Shot AF mode.
Like I said, this may take a little bit of getting used to, but I don't think you'll find yourself ever going back once you do.

I shot the Wedding Saturday using this technique As well as the two photo sessions on Sunday, and yes, it does take a little adjustment period. Here's a picture of my son Damian that I used this technique on when he strolled casually in and placed himself down on the rug in the middle of a photo shoot I did last week. He's a ham whenever I bring out my camera and out of all of my children, shows the most interest in photography right now.
I never noticed how dark he is still from the summer sun until I took this picture!
I shot this using my 50mm at f1.4

No comments:

Post a Comment